Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Bystander, Verona


So what you want to know
is who struck the first blow?
It's the Capulet, he's to blame
I don't even know his name.
Mercutio's dying words
were to curse them both, I heard.
His friend Romeo got in the game
After that it was much the same.
The prince was quite unkind
but wait, let's rewind.

I didn't even tell you the best part:
Juliet and Romeo were sweethearts.
They fell in love as soon as they met
but some guy was to marry Juliet.
Romeo took poison, they said,
while she used a knife. Both dead.
And then the prince gave a pretty speech
but let's not overestimate his reach.
Mark my words, the Montagues and Capulets
will fight to death without regrets.

Christine Fojas

---
Notes: second draft; wrote this after my sister helped a friend write a sonnet about the fight scene in R&J in a bystander's POV. I think I had more fun with mine. It reminds me of a Patricia McKillip short story of the aftermath of R&J, where a detective was trying to piece together what happened. It's called "Star-Crossed" and it's in her collection Harrowing the Dragon.

No comments: