Monday, April 2, 2012

Back to the Future

I won't know until I jump.

I've got my back against the break
of dawn with orders to identify
each new impulse that rises
like a red balloon, to guard
against the worst of the war to come.
There is something here, can't you see?
And there is something gone.

I've got my back to the future,
armed with sharp fears,
armoured safe and bound.

Everyone's trying to prove
they were in the world.
Ninety-nine dreams I've had:
might as well set them free
floating in this dust
that used to be the oceans deep,
now dried and petrified.

And when I get to the sharpest edge
and look over the great divide
I won't know until I make the leap
whether I'd have tried.

Christine Fojas
Napowrimo 2012
---
Prompt: #1 song on your birthday: Van Halen's "Jump" and Nena's "99 Red Balloons."

No comments: